B’Haram: Troops Search Baga Bushes For Zulum’s Convoy Attackers

Following the Wednesday’s attack on the convoy of Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State by Boko Haram insurgents, the Nigerian Army said it had begun combing the bushes in the Baga  Area of the state to track down the attackers.

THE WHISTLER had on Wednesday reported that Zulum’s convoy was ambushed by the insurgent sect while on his way to some internally displaced persons camps in the Baga area of the state.

The army stated this in a statement issued on Thursday by its spokesman, Sagir Musa, titled, “Report of the attack on the convoy of Borno state Governor.”

Musa reiterated the army’s resolve to deal with the attackers, who were believed to be insurgents.

According to him, the attack was an isolated incident “that occurred in a territory where normalcy has since been restored with socio-economic activities picking up.”

The army spokesman said the incident occurred shortly after the governor and his entourage departed the Army Super Camp in Baga, to visit other parts of the town, noting that the attack forced Zulum to abort his planned trip to Baga.

He said, “The convoy of the Executive Governor of Borno State, Prof Babagana Zulum came under Boko Haram terrorists fire while visiting Baga town on the 29th of July 2020.

“The governor had earlier paid a visit to the Commander, 19 Brigade at the Nigerian Army Super Camp Baga where he was fully briefed about the prevailing security situation in the general area.”

“Although, details of the unfortunate incident are sketchy and under investigation, efforts are ongoing to comb the area where the incident occurred with a view to track down and deal decisively with the attackers. An investigation is also in progress to identify the circumstances that led to the attack.”

The force assured the public that “this will be interrogated with a view to forestalling future re-occurrence.”

You can unsubscribe at any time