Telecommunication companies in Nigeria have warned that mobile phone users in some regions may experience network interruption due to the closure of the country’s land borders by the federal government.
The telecoms operators issued the warning via their umbrella body, the Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), on Saturday.
The development was contained in a letter signed by ALTON chairman, Gbenga Adebayo and the Head of Operations, Gbolahan Awonuga, addressed to the Vice Chairman the Nigeria Communications Commission, Umar Danbatta.
ALTON said hub sites of some operators in Calabar area would be shut down due to lack of diesel.
They said the development was due to inability to move diesel around the border area following a directive of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS)
“Following the directives by the Nigeria Customs Service in a circular dated Wednesday, November 6, 2019, directing all customs zonal coordinators not to allow petroleum product to be delivered to any filling stations within 20 kilometres radius of any border area in Nigeria.
“The directive is already having huge negative impact on our members’ operations and this may be significant if the necessary agencies of government do not urgently intervene in the situation.”
ALTON said the Customs Service had already stopped trucks of its members in the Kebbi, Kano and Calabar areas from supplying diesel to the telecommunications sites within the border’s areas.
Customs had on Wednesday suspended petroleum products supply to filling stations within 20 kilometres of the border.