Capital One Cup: Iheanacho shines as City Thrash Palace 5-1

Nigerian youngster, Kelechi Iheanacho was Man of the match as Manchester City defeated Crystal Palace to progress into the last eight of the Capital one cup.

The 19 year old, was in sensational form scoring one goal and providing two assist as Manchester City eased past Alan Pardew’s team 5-1 at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday night.

City took the lead in the 22nd minute, as Bony met a De Bruyne corner with a firm header pass keeper Wayne Hennessey.


The Citizens extended their lead minutes later as Iheanacho laid on a pass for Kevin De Bruyne who made no mistake from close range.

Iheanacho then lashed in a half-volley to extend City’s lead, before further goals from Yaya Toure and Manu Garcia, before Delaney pulled one back for Palace with a superb header in the 89th minute.

Manuel Pellegrini’s men have now scored 38 goals in all competitions this season. That has included six against Newcastle and three in the victory over Premier League champions Chelsea.

After the game, City’s manager, Manuel Pellegrini applauded the Nigerian youngster’s fine display, insisting he never doubted his decision to bring him to Manchester.


“It was very important for Kelechi to demonstrate once again that he’s a very good player.

“He’s not just a striker, he provided two assists – I’m very happy for him. He has things to improve but he’s working in the correct way.

“I had no doubt in him, I see how he works every day and his personality is important and it’s important for him to play with important players.

“Kelechi is not a box striker, he’s not just a finisher – he must improve his control as he needs to do it better but he always plays with his head up as he showed creating the goal for Kevin.

“After that, with more space for Manu Garcia. He’s a player who can play behind the striker or as a striker and he can arrive into the box to score the goals as he did tonight.”


Iheanacho’s two professional goals have been scored against Crystal palace, his first was a last-minute winner at Selhurst Park in September.

Elsewhere, Manchester United crashed out of the Capital one Cup after 3-1 penalty shootout loss to Championship side, Middlesbrough.

Leave a comment