Court Sentences Man To Death For Robbing Victim After Slitting His Throat

An Osun State High Court sitting in Ede has sentenced 44-year old Rafiu Saheed to death for committing armed robbery after attempted murder.

The convict was arraigned in the court on 30th of November, 2017 on two counts of attempted murder and armed robbery contrary to sections 6(b) and 1 (2)(a) of the Robbery and Firearms section 320 Criminal Code Law, Cap 34, Laws of Osun State, 2002 and Section 1(2) of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act, Cap R11 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004 respectively.

The convict pleaded not guilty to the two counts preferred against him.

The prosecution counsel, Mr Bankole Awoyemi, had earlier told the court that Rafiu Saheed (convict) sometimes on 30th July, 2012, contracted Mr. Olaniyi Olayinka, a motorcycle operator to take him to his brother’s house at Ipetumodu from Ile-Ife.

He said on getting to Ipetumodu, they did not meet the convict’s brother.

The convict was said to have asked the motorcyclist to take him back to Ile-Ife but while returning, the convict took out a knife and slit the throat of the motorcyclist.

The convict took away the motorcycle belonging to Olaniyi Olayinka thinking he was dead.

The motorcyclist, the prosecutor said, later stood up and went to report the incident at a police station.

The convict was arrested with the motorcycle which belongs to Olaniyi Olayinka.

Mr Okeniyi Segun, a police seargent attached to Ipetumodu Police Division, testified before the court how the convicted person was arrested at the Moore Police Station and he was transferred to the Ipetumodu Police Division.

The prosecutor called two witnesses and tendered three exhibits.

But the convict testified in his defense.

The prosecutor further testified on how the statement of the convict was obtained at both the Division and State Criminal Investigation Department.

During the trial, Bankole called two witnesses and tendered three exhibits including confessional statement of the convict and circumstantial evidence of eye witnesses.

Counsel to the convict, Julie Olorunfemi of Legal Aid Council, pleaded that the court should temper justice with mercy.

The presiding judge, Justice Kudirat Akano, held that the prosecution counsel had proved his case beyond reasonable doubt and found the convict guilty of the two counts preferred against him.

She subsequently sentenced him to 14 years for attempted murder and death for armed robbery.