Dino Melaye Attacks Gov Akeredolu’s Call For Marijuana Legalisation In Nigeria

Kogi West Senator and governorship aspirant in the state, Dino Melaye, has kicked against Governor Rotimi Akeredolu’s call for the legalisation of marijuana in Nigeria.

Akeredolu, who is the Governor of Ondo state, has been calling on the Nigerian government to legalise the cultivation of marijuana in the country.


The Governor had previously asked the government to grant Ondo license to cultivate marijuana for export, citing its medical benefits.

“Ondo State is the largest producer of marijuana plants in Nigeria. We are not asking the government to set up bars where people come and abuse cannabis, rather we are asking the government to grant us license to cultivate medical marijuana for export,” he had said.

Akeredolu renewed the call on Saturday at a conference organised as part of events to mark the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Drug Trafficking which is celebrated yearly on June 26.

The conference was organised by the Vanguard Against Drug Abuse to debate on whether or not Nigeria should legalise marijuana.


“There is no reason why Nigeria shouldn’t legalise marijuana,” said Akeredolu.

Represented by his special adviser, Boye Oyewumi, the governor said: “Some African countries are already exporting medical cannabis worth billions of dollars.”

But also speaking at the conference, Senator Melaye said regardless of its commercial medical benefits, legalising marijuana in the country will cause more harm than good.

“The 10% of Nigerians consuming marijuana are endangering lives of the remaining 90% of the population,” he said.

Melaye, who was represented at the conference by his personal assistant, Femi Obalemo, said: “There are other diverse areas that can generate revenue for the country, taking agriculture for an example.”

Leave a comment