Enugu Popular ‘Joint’, New Berries Park Gutted By Fire
The New Berries Park, one of the popular drinking joints in Enugu, was this afternoon raised by fire.
The pub, located near Ogui junction along Abakiliki road, was known for hosting major social events, such as shows and weddings.
It was gathered that the fire, which began around 1p.m., was a result of fire sparks from a welder who was welding some irons inside one of the thatched huts.
The fire had razed all the three gigantic huts in the garden before men of the Enugu State Fire Service arrived to save the only concrete building in the garden.
Engr. Daniel Ohaa, the chief fire officer of Enugu state, who monitored the efforts to put out the fire, decried non-adherence to fire prevention mechanisms as the cause.
He said his agency had been sensitising residents of the state on measures to adopt to avoid fire outbreaks and regretted that the cries had not been heeded.
“We keep telling them to avoid acts capable of igniting fire outbreaks. This time around, we are told that a welder was working inside one of the thatched huts. How could such be done in a grassy hut and where gas cylinders are kept?
“ Our men responded immediately we got the emergency call. We deployed about four fire fighting water tankers. I am not happy because in spite of our timely interventions, the fact that thatched huts were involved made it very difficult to contain the inferno.”
Engr. Ohaa who spoke with THE WHISTLER expressed anger that the fire outbreak was avoidable.
“ I am angry that this fire outbreak was avoidable. This is a hot weather, and susceptible to fire. Generally, people should create demarcations between where they live and bushes.
“ I repeat that keeping gas cylinders in houses should be avoided. Also, electricity connections should be strictly handled by experts.”
The owner of the garden, popularly called Olo, expressed shock over the mishap.