A Saturday morning inferno has destroyed property worth millions of naira in some shops at Gishiri market, a suburb of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
THE WHISTLER was told by an eye witness that the fire started around 5am as a result of an electrical spark.
According to her, the spark was as a result of high voltage power after electricity was restored on Friday night following two days of total blackout in the area.
Among the shops affected included that of one Mama Nkem, who sells every day home items/appliances, a local pharmacy shop, a thrift contribution society and a fast food joint among others.
Mama Nkem, it was learnt, had just returned from another market on Friday, with goods worth over N250 thousand naira to stock her shop.
“It is really a painful loss for these shop owners, most importantly, Mama Nkem, she just came back from the market yesterday where she went to get more goods for her shop. Most times, she goes to the market with between N200 to N250 thousand and above. Nothing was picked out from the shops, everything was destroyed. These are goods worth millions of naira oo,” the eye witness who owned a shop near the market said.
This paper observed that the market was completely razed, leaving a heap of burnt scraps as nothing was salvaged from the incident.
Below are some pictures from the fire incident.