How Hoodlums Shot Dead Lagos NURTW Chair While Receiving Treatment In Hospital

A Vice Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers in one of the units in Ijeshatedo area of Lagos State, Kunle Ajibade, has been shot while receiving treatment in a private hospital in the area.


Ajibade, who was 28 years old was said to have been shot many times and gave up the ghost while being taken from the hospital to Lagos University Teaching Hospital at Idi Araba.

The deceased’s brother Kehinde said his brother was first attacked by the hoodlums, who gave him multiple stabs on different parts of his body.

He said trouble started last Saturday during a party to celebrate Prosper Day which was held on Ijikoyijo Street in Ijeshatedo.

He said members of two rival gangs reportedly attended the party. One of the gang was said to have been led by a man identified as My Son and the other led by Kolom.

Trouble started when one Malik, a member of Kolom’s gang reportedly became drunk and started harassing people at the party. His action was said to have angered others and this triggered a clash between the two groups.


A separate group, Ultimate, led by Alaka was said to have teemed up with members of My Son’s gang to fight the Kolom-led gang.

The deceased and some other persons were said to have made attempts to settle the fight but this was said to have infuriated Alaka who engaged the deceased in a shouting match.

One of the gang members was said to have broken a bottle on the head of the deceased during the altercations but it was finally resolved. However, the hoodlums were said to have trailed him to his house where he was hacked in many parts of his body.

The deceased’s brother, Kehinde said he was called on the phone around 2am that some hoodlums had attacked his brother and brutally injured him.

He said, “When I got there, I was told that they had taken my brother to a private hospital on Ogunmuyiwa Street. On my way there, I met his friends, who said while at the hospital, Alaka led his boys to attack the medical facility and shot my brother.


“They shot him in the hand, back and thigh. Even without the gunshots, the probability of him surviving the injuries he suffered during the attack with machetes was low. They cut his hand and head. I have Alaka’s voice recordings confirming that he attacked my brother.

“After the attack at the hospital, my brother’s friends rushed him to the Adetutu Hospital on Kosoko Street in Ijesha. My mum and I went to meet him there and decided to rush him to LUTH because the injuries were serious. We hired a tricycle, but he died on the way.”

The deceased’s mother, Adeola said that Alaka killed her son claiming to have an audio recording of Alaka to back up her claims. She demanded that justice.must he serve in the case.

The distraught mother said the case was reported at the police station in the area. She added that the case had been transferred from there to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba.

But Alaka denied killing Ajibade. He said he never went to the hospital. Alaka also claimed that the deceased attacked him at the party by throwing bottles at him but he remained calm.

He admitted that he spoke angrily to the deceased’s mother when she called him on the phone to accuse him of killing her son but denied the allegation against him.


The Police Public Relations Officer, Adekunle Ajisebutu, said he had not been briefed about the case.


Leave a comment