Not less than twenty people were shot dead, on Wednesday, by suspected Boko Haram terrorists, in Borno state, Nigeria’s northeast.
Sources revealed that a large group of Boko Haram gunmen fleeing a military offensive on their camp in Nganzai district opened fire on four cars just outside Jingalta village, 70 kilometres (45 miles) north of Maiduguri, killing all 20 passengers inside.
Babakura Kolo, a member of a local vigilante group assisting the military in fighting the Islamic sect in Maiduguri, speaking to newsmen said, “We received information of an attack by Boko Haram gunmen on four cars near Jingalta village where they shot dead all 20 occupants of the vehicles before setting the cars ablaze.
“The gunmen were fleeing a military operation against one of their enclaves in the area around 9:30 am (0830GMT) when they came across the vehicles on the highway and opened fire on them,” he added.
According to Kolo, the gunmen, who were driving pick-up trucks and motorcycles, then plundered and burnt the entire village whose residents had already fled following the attack.
Jibir Hassan, a commercial bus driver confirming the incident, said, “When we arrived at Jingalta village, we found it on fire, with everything completely burnt and just outside the village we saw bodies sprawled by the roadside, 20 of them in all,”
“Near the bodies were burnt remains of four cars, still in flames,” said Hassan.