The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, has said that the number of pro-Biafra activists killed by Nigerian Soldiers from August 2015 till date is no fewer than 2000, and not 150 as published by Amnesty International, AI.
Recall that the Human rights organization accused the army of killing at least 150 peaceful pro-Biafra protesters in the South-East, basing its analysis on 87 videos, 122 photographs and 146 eye witness testimonies.
The group, in a statement issued on Thursday by its media and publicity secretary, Comrade Emma Powerful, said that asides the 2000 members killed, another 750 are missing, adding that 370 people are undergoing severe torture and 567 members are undergoing medical treatment in different hospitals.
The group, however, commended AI for standing bold to condemn the crime against humanity as committed by the government of Nigeria and her security agencies.
The statement read, “In IPOBs records and statistics department gathered from all parts of Biafraland we have over 2000 members killed, 750 missing since then till date we have not seen their dead bodies and we are still searching for them, we also have 567 members undergoing medical treatment in different hospitals.
“In the same vein, we have 370 people undergoing severe torture in different prisons and security cells across the country from hands of security agents.
“As we are talking right now the DSS and other security agencies in Nigeria are still searching for the members of IPOB across the country, some are still in the DSS secret cells since six months now without taking them to court while they were all keeping incommunicado in different places.”
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army had earlier debunked claims by the global human rights watchdog that its men killed over 150 pro-Biafran protesters, stating that the allegation is an “outright attempt to tarnish the reputation of the security forces in general and the Nigerian Army in particular, for whatever inexplicable parochial reasons.”