The management of Yaba College of Technology, Lagos, has indefinitely suspended all academic activities after an inferno gutted the institution’s female hostel on Wednesday morning.
A statement issued by YABATECH’s spokesperson, Dr. Charles Oni, on Wednesday, said, “All examinations and lectures, especially scheduled for today (Wednesday) have been put on hold while the College attends to the exigency.”
“The Management regrets the misguided and outright falsehood on the social media and calls to certain radio stations that there was no water on campus to quell the fire.
“The truth is that firemen needed an excavator to attend to the fire, which the College provided promptly.
“Meanwhile, the Rector, Dr. Margaret Ladipo has called on the College community to remain calm as the Management finds ways to soothe the pains inflicted by the accident.”
It was learnt that the fire started as a result of a spark from an electric panel, at about 5:20 am on Wednesday morning and was on till about 7:00 am.
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Lagos state Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and state fire service, revealed that no life was lost during the incident.
However, a lot of properties were damaged as the inferno affected no fewer than 20 rooms in the Bakassi block of the two-storey building.
Also, a NEMA official who spoke on the basis of anonymity revealed that four ladies who went into a state of shock and were rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, Yaba, have been stabilised.