For years, many of us have relied on antibiotic use to treat various infections such as Meningitis and bronchitis. And the reality is that antibiotics have been responsible for saving millions of lives since the invention nearly 75 years ago.
However, today is a new era in which taking antibiotics can now cause some very dangerous and potentially life-threatening situations. In fact, you may have heard about the new “superbugs”, which are antibiotic-resistant bacteria that have developed as a result of overprescribed antibiotics.
It’s always believed that prevention is better than cure! We may not be too careful about the diseases and infections we contact but we can adopt a healthy living strategy to boost our immune system to avoid these diseases occurring in the first place.
Following general good-health guidelines is the single best step you can take toward keeping your immune system strong and healthy. Every part of your body, including your immune system, functions better when protected from environmental assaults.
Some healthy-living strategies you need to adopt in order to ensure that your immune system function well are:
1. Don’t smoke.
2. Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in saturated fat.
3. Exercise regularly.
4. Maintain a healthy weight.
5. Control your blood pressure.
6. If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
7. Get adequate sleep (8 hours).
8. Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
9. Get regular medical screening tests for people in your age group and risk category.