The Defence Headquarters, on Monday, faulted reports published by some quarters of the media stating that 800 Boko Haram members had been granted amnesty.
A statement issued by the Acting Director, Defence Information, Brig. Gen. Rabe Abubakar in response to the report said the story was untrue and false, adding that it would not tolerate acts of terrorism or criminality by any group.
While calling on the public to disregard the reports, Abubakar said that the defence headquarters was only rehabilitating the terrorist.
According to him, the decision to rehabilitate repentant members of Boko Haram was based on a United Nations convention and could not be considered as amnesty.
The statement read: “The attention of Defence Headquarters has been drawn to online Media stating that 800 Boko Haram Terrorists were given Amnesty. The story is false and has no iota of truth in it as DHQ has never mentioned Amnesty in all its statement.
“In line with United Nations convention Charter, which Nigeria is a signatory, The Defence Headquarters came up with an initiative “Öperation Safe Corridor”, this initiative is geared towards rehabilitating and reintegrating the repentant terrorists back into normal life in the society.
“Therefore, the general public should disregard these insinuations as the initiative “Operation Safe Corridor” should not be taken as Amnesty.”
“We hereby emphasise and stand our position that no act of Terrorism or Criminality will be condoned in our nation by any group. Please be guided.”