Chelsea has confirmed that Captain John Terry has been offered a new one-year contract after being on the verge of leaving the club following an 18-year career with the Blues.
However, no agreement has been reached.
The Blues’ skipper is out of contract at the end of this season and in January said he would not be extending his stay.
But Chelsea confirmed on Friday afternoon their club captain had been offered an extension and was considering the proposal.
The club’s interim manager Guus Hiddink’s confirmed the news in his final pre-match press conference ahead of the visit of Premier League champions Leicester City to Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
Chelsea also confirmed on Twitter.
It is announced in the press conference that John Terry has been offered a one-year contract extension. John is considering the offer. #CFC
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) May 13, 2016
Speaking after Hiddink, a Chelsea spokesperson said: “(Director) Marina Granovskaia and (chairman) Bruce Buck met with John and his agent this week and offered him a one-year contract extension.
“With it coming so late in the season, this is a big decision for John and his family and it is something that they are now considering.”
Terry is Chelsea’s longest-serving player having made his Premier League debut in December 1998. He announced that the club had not offered him a new contract back in January, revealing that he was expecting to leave the club at the end of the season.
But it seems that could be over for now, as there is a possibility that the former England captain will remain at Stamford Bridge for another year.
Chelsea had earlier withdrawn a tribute to Terry from their end-of-season awards ceremony, scheduled for Friday night.
The 35-year-old was sent off for the second time this season in Saturday’s defeat to Sunderland, meaning he would miss Sunday’s Premier League finale against champions Leicester.