CL: City Break Record As Atletico Madrid Progress In Dramatic Fashion

Manchester City progressed to the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the first time after playing out a goalless draw with Ukrainian side, Dynamo Kiev at the Etihad Stadium on Tuesday night.

Coming into the game with a 3-1 lead from the first leg, City were in control of the tie, but the victory came at a cost as they lost captain Vincent Kompany and Nicolas Otamendi to injuries.

Vincent Kompany lasted six minutes, and Nicolas Otamendi just a quarter of the game and the City captain will miss at least one month’s action with this latest recurrence of his calf problem.

The Citizens have conceded a goal every 156 minutes with Kompany on the pitch, but one every 70 minutes without him.

In a game with little chances created, Manuel Pellegrini’s side came closest to breaking the deadlock when Jesus Navas hit the post with a low drive in the second half and Yaya Toure shot straight at the keeper.

The will now await Fridays draw to determine who they will face in the quarter-finals.

Elsewhere, Atletico Madrid booked their place at the last eight of the competition, after a dramatic penalty shootout against PSV at the Vicente Calderon Satdium.

The Spanish club defeated Philip Cocu’s side 8-7 on penalties, after neither side could manage a goal in 210 minutes across the two legs of the tie.

The first 14 spot-kicks of the shootout were then converted in clinical fashion before PSV’s Luciano Narsingh smashed his effort against the bar.

Juanfran made no mistake from the spot to make it 8-7 to the host, and take his side to the quarter-finals.

Atletico’s victory, broke the record for the highest scoring shootout in the European Champions League history.

The draw for the last eight takes place on Friday at 11:00 GMT.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Subscribe to get daily news updates delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
You might also like

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.