Dokpesi Returns To Detention As Court Defers Bail Ruling

The bail application by DAAR Communications owner, Raymond Dokpesi, could not be heard on Thursday as the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja adjourned the ruling on the application to December 14.

Dokpesi is standing trial on a six count charge of money laundering and other fraud related charges.

Justice Gabriel Kolawole who deferred the ruling, said the adjournment will give him time to make a good ruling.

Counsel to the defendant, Mike Ozekhome SAN, had prayed the court to permit Dokpesi to sit down at the accused dock, which was granted.

He further argued that his client be granted bail on self-recognition, adding that the court permits its indulgence with the exhibits marked A1 – A8 with an attached written address.

Ozekhome added that his client has never been involved in any act of terrorism or killing of innocent Nigerians and will not jump bail.

He noted that as the counsel to the defendant, himself and his team have been having difficulty on accessing Dokpesi who remains in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

He also mentioned that attached with an affidavit is a wedding invitation for the traditional and white wedding ceremony of Dokpesi’s son on December 17 and 19.

He said: “Because our criminal justice is acquisitorial and not inquisitorial,” seeking to shame the innocent and not the guilty.

“In fact my client want to show that he is not guilty and the best way prove his innocence,” Ozekhome said.

In his response, the prosecuting counsel, Rotimi Jacobs said that looking at the nature of the offence against Dokpesi and its seriousness, it is obvious that the defendant will jump bail.

“My lord, the offenses listed here could lead to between five to seven years imprisonment and looking at the evidence available, that N2.1 billion was paid from the account of the NSA for a campaign in favour of the People’s Democratic Party for 2015 election,” Jacobs said.

After arguments by both counsels, Justice Kolawole adjourned the case to Monday, December 14, and ordered that the accused remain in the custody of the EFCC.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Subscribe to get daily news updates delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time
You might also like

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.