There was panic, on Tuesday, after a multiple bomb explosion hit Benin City, destroying about five houses in Sakponba area of Edo State capital city, sources have said.
It was learnt that residents of Zomi Zomi Street in Upper Sakpoba Road scampered to safety when they heard the loud noise that came with the explosion at about 3p.m.
It was also learnt that many claimed that the explosion was carried out by members of the Boko Haram insurgents.
A police source at the scene who pleaded anonymity told newsmen that contrary to speculations that Boko Haram had invaded the city, the explosion was believed to have occurred from bomb materials that the kidnappers who had earlier lodged in the building left behind.
He said, “We learned that the bungalow where the bomb detonated was being used as a hide out for kidnappers some months ago. But a combined unit of soldiers and police invaded the place and arrested the suspects.
“So recently, somebody hired the building and just this afternoon, decided to burn refuse in the compound. He set the refuse on fire and went out to buy something.
“Immediately he left, the bomb exploded. He was not aware that the kidnappers, who once used the house, had left some bombs behind.”
However, governor of the state, Adams Oshiomhole stated that the authorities were not in possession of enough information to declare that the explosion was caused by a bomb.
He said, “We are not sure yet that the explosion was from a bomb. We are investigating and will follow up tomorrow with a more definitive answer.”
He further confirmed that there were no fatalities in the explosion “one man was injured, and he was sent to the hospital.”