Suspended UEFA president, Michel Platini, says he hopes to be back to work soon in time for the 2016 European Championship soccer tournament in June, following a hearing on Monday to appeal against his eight-year ban.
The 60-year old was banned for eight years in December along with Fifa president Sepp Blatter over a payment of $2 million payment made to the Frenchman in 2011 by Blatter for work done several years ago.
The former France captain arrived at Fifa’s Zurich headquarters relaxed and left eight-and-a-half hours later saying he was “happy with the way it went”.
“It’s been a very good hearing, very well conducted, with people who have been sincere,” Platini said after the hearing. “I am quite happy with the way it has gone.
“I hope to work again as soon as possible, go back to the office as soon as the decision has been given by the Appeal Committee and then prepare the Euro (tournament), there are important things to do.
“I am waiting to come back to work on this great football party… which will take place in France,” he added, referring to the 24-team Euro 2016 finals being held from June 10-July 10 2016.
Asked at the front gate if he had been inside FIFA’s home for the last time, Platini looked back into the darkness over his left shoulder and laughed with reporters.
“It’s possible. I don’t know at all,” he said.
Platini’s hearing will be followed on Tuesday by that of Sepp Blatter. They can take their cases to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if they lose their appeals.