It would rather sound incredible if you are told how people craved to go snails hunting in the past; I personally enjoyed the adventures that came with it.
Many years ago in Nigeria, snails were regarded as poor people’s delicacy because they were easy to find and used in making soups. But today, you have to pay a lot of Naira or even dollars to have 4 big snails on your plate in any restaurant, hotel or even in your kitchen.
Ekwon, as it is commonly called in Efik, is a rich source of vitamins and mineral as it is incredibly packed with vitamins E, A, K, and B12. It is also an ideal weight watchers diet because they are good sources of proteins but low in calories and fat.
Stuck in a grilled gizzard? tired of the random beef? Here are ways to make your plate of meal trend with snail this Sallah break.
Wash snails (with salt, garri, and alum) until no longer slimy. The process may take 30 minutes.
Place cleaned snails into a pot of lightly salted water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for an hour. Remove from water.
In a separate pot, fry onions, peppers, and tomatoes, adding enough water to create a saucy stew.
Add the cooked snail. Stir very well.
Peppered Snails are a common feature in restaurants’ menus. They are also served as Small Chops at parties and can be a side dish served with fried plantain or rice.
To make peppered snail, follow the steps below:
1. Marinate (with stock cubes, pepper, salt and onions) the cleaned snails in a pot and cook on medium heat
2. Blend in tomatoes, pepper and onions and boil on medium heat stirring it continuously to prevent burning.
3. After 30 minutes, the snails should be well cooked so keep aside with the stock.
4. When the water dries from the tomato puree, add vegetable oil and fry few minutes.
5. Add the cooked snail. Stir very well and the snail stock to taste.
6. Stir the combo and keep aside.
7. Insert toothpicks or skewers into the snail and serve.(optional) or server with plantain or a glass of cold juice.
However, for the older people, I will recommend a large quantity of a rich snail meal instead of food with high level of carbs.