The Niger State Police Command has confirmed the abduction of an unspecified number of Muslim worshippers by suspected bandits in communities in Borgu Local Government Area of the state.
The victims were reportedly abducted on Friday shortly after the Juma’at prayers at the Central Mosque in Dekara community.
According to security sources and eyewitnesses familiar with the incident, the armed attackers invaded Gidan Zana, Masaka, Sabon Gida and other neighbouring communities after the prayers and took away several residents.
Among those reportedly abducted was the 90-year-old father of the District Head of Dekara, according to local sources.
The incident has heightened concerns over the security situation in remote communities across Borgu, particularly areas vulnerable to attacks by armed criminal groups.
Confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer in Niger State, SP Wasiu Abiodun, said security agencies had mobilised personnel for a rescue operation.
Advertisement
Abiodun said no death had been recorded in the attack, adding that efforts were ongoing to locate the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
He, however, said the difficult terrain and poor road network in the affected communities were hampering the movement of security personnel.
The police spokesman disclosed that a collapsed bridge linking the affected communities to the Borgu Local Government headquarters had further delayed the deployment of security forces.
According to him, the development had made it difficult for security personnel to gain quick access to the affected communities and surrounding areas where the attackers were believed to have escaped with their victims.
Abiodun said security agencies were working to overcome the logistical challenges and intensify the search for the abducted worshippers.
Advertisement
He added that efforts were also underway to track down the attackers and secure the release of the victims.
Security sources said troops and other security personnel were expected to sustain search operations across surrounding forests and suspected escape routes used by the attackers.
The latest attack comes amid renewed concerns over insecurity in parts of Niger State, where poor road infrastructure and difficult terrain have continued to hamper security operations.
Residents were urged to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could assist in the rescue operation and the arrest of the perpetrators.
The police assured residents that efforts were ongoing to restore security to the affected communities.
Advertisement