The United Kingdom, Australia and Canada have condemned Israel’s decision to close a criminal investigation into the 2024 killing of seven World Central Kitchen (WCK) aid workers in Gaza.
The three countries described the decision as “shameful” and criticised Israel for failing to provide adequate accountability for the deaths of the humanitarian workers.
The Israeli military announced on August 19 that it would not pursue a criminal investigation into the April 1, 2024, strike on the WCK convoy, saying there was no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct.
The attack killed seven aid workers who were delivering food to civilians in Gaza. The victims included nationals of Australia and the UK, as well as a dual Canadian-US national.
In a joint statement, the three governments said they had spent more than two years pressing Israel to conduct a swift and thorough investigation into the attack and hold those responsible to account.
“At the time, the IDF described this incident as a serious mistake and failure,” the governments said, referring to the Israel Defense Forces.
Advertisement
“In the more than two years since, we have been pressing for Israel to swiftly and thoroughly consider the case and hold those responsible to account.”
They said the decision to close the case without further explanation was “both too little, and too late.”
Australia’s Foreign Minister Penny Wong separately said her government was “outraged” by the decision and summoned Israel’s ambassador to express its concerns.
Wong said the Israeli military’s response fell short of the standards of accountability Australia expected following the killing of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six other WCK workers.
The Israeli military had previously acknowledged serious operational failures in the attack, including the mistaken identification of the aid convoy as a Hamas target. Five officers were disciplined following an internal inquiry.
Advertisement
However, the military concluded that there was no criminal intent behind the strike and has now closed the case without pursuing criminal charges.
The governments of the UK, Australia and Canada said the decision raised concerns about accountability and the safety of humanitarian workers operating in conflict zones.
The condemnation adds to growing international criticism of Israel’s handling of investigations into the deaths of humanitarian workers in Gaza.