As the Nigerian military continues to battle terrorists of the Boko Haram sect in the North East, it has unveiled photographs of another 55 terrorists wanted on Monday in Maiduguri.
The new set of wanted terrorists brings to 257 those wanted having declared 202 insurgents wanted in 2015.
The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Gabriel Olonisakin, who unveiled the photographs at the headquarters of the Theatre Command in Maiduguri called on Nigerians to join in search for the terrorists.
“With this launch of additional photographs of wanted Boko Haram terrorists, it is hoped that all members of the public and other peace loving citizen will provide useful information that will aid in riding the society of these terrorists and criminal elements,’’ he said.
Speaking earlier, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, noted that many of the 202 terrorists earlier declared wanted had either been killed or arrested during operations.
“We have earlier in the course of our campaigns against the insurgents from late 2015 published two editions, comprising 202 individuals that have been identified, key members of the Boko Haram insurgents.
“In the course our counter insurgency operations, quite a significant number of these wanted terrorists have either been killed or arrested.
“Those arrested have been providing useful information that has assisted the Nigerian army undertake successful operations,’’ he said.
Buratai also called on Nigerians and the media with useful information about the suspects to provide it, saying that such information would be treated with “utmost confidentiality’’.
“No item of information is too little or should be ignored,’’ he said.
He insisted that, “It is very clear that the Boko Haram terrorists have been defeated.
“To continue to have any doubt in this regard or to continue to re-echo or insinuate that these terrorists have not been defeated is only a way of encouraging these terrorists,’’ Buratai said.