The human body is an intricate system and hundreds of complex reactions take place in it every minute, hence for a smooth functioning of the system you need ample amount of fruits and vegetables.
Fruit act as cleansers for your body as they are natural sources of vitamins and minerals, which guarantee you optimum health and a well-built body in the long run.
A diet rich in vegetables and fruits can lower blood pressure, reduce risk of heart disease and stroke, prevent some types of cancer, lower risk of eye and digestive problems, and have a positive effect upon blood sugar which can help keep appetite in check.
A medical practitioner, Dr. Daniel Umoren, advised on the reduction of fruit juice consumption, as it does not contain the same amount of nutrients as fresh fruit.
According to Umoren, fruit juice contains lots of sugar, these sugar he says are not necessarily good for your health, even though they are ‘natural’. Instead, have a drink of water and a serve of fruit.
It is also recommended to eat raw, fresh and ripe fruits because then you experience the real health benefits, rather than consuming them after processing or cooking.
There are many reasons to eat more fruits and vegetables;
1. Fruits and vegetables contain phytochemicals (plant compounds) that may help prevent or delay disease and help you maintain good health.
2. Provides vitamins and minerals.
3. Reduces risk of heart diseases, stroke, hypertension etc.
4. Helps in wound healing e.g. Vitamin C.
5. Foods that are rich in potassium like oranges and bananas helps maintain a healthy blood pressure.
6. Vegetables like tomatoes helps in blood formation.
7. Eating whole fruits and vegetables adds fiber to your diet. Fiber fills you up. This feeling of fullness may help you maintain your weight and prevent constipation
8. If you are a woman of childbearing age or in your first trimester of pregnancy, you need folate (folic acid), a nutrient that is found in fruits and vegetables. Folate reduces the risk of birth defects during your baby’s development.
Some simple ways to serve fruits and vegetables include;
Ø Fruit and vegetable salads
Ø Vegetable or meat-and-vegetable stir-fries
Ø Raw fruit and vegetables
Ø Vegetable soups
Remember you are as youthful as your health, so be mindful of what you take into your body to ever remain fresh.