Your Claims On Apo Robbery False, Police Tell Pastor Enenche
The Federal Capital Territory Police Command on Sunday described as false and misleading the recent claims by the Senior Pastor of Dunamis International Gospel Centre, Paul Enenche, regarding a robbery incident at Zone E, Apo Resettlement, Abuja, on Monday, June 23, 2025.
Enenche had made the allegations during a midweek church service, citing an alleged eyewitness account from a congregant.
He said the police could not contain the attack and accused government officials of prioritising political ambitions over citizens’ welfare.
During the service, Enenche had stated, “I got a very distressing message from a member of this church who said that the Apo resettlement on Monday is not an incident she heard but witnessed, where some herdsmen’s children on motorbikes arrived there with weapons. This is in Abuja.
“You know, I have said it before: nobody should think they are big men and that wherever they are is safe; by the time they have finished with their village, they would look for them.
“This woman said she had a child in this school (name withheld), that they sprayed the vigilante place with bullets. This is an eyewitness account.”
Advertisement
He continued, “Police came, as she said, and tried to engage them but to no avail. They returned to their motorbikes, all freed, and drove up the mountain in that area and went off.
“We are talking of the Capital Territory. Whereas there are people who are doing business as usual. We have a lot of the political class now; what is on their mind is not the current situation but the future expectation of the election.
“I think there have to be people before you can be a leader. We are not going to keep watching like this. Most times, we wait until the dying minutes and now they have announced election intentions.”
In response to the allegations, the FCT Police Public Relations Officer, SP Josephine Adeh, clarified that the Command had received a distress call on the day of the incident and responded swiftly.
“Upon receiving a distress call from a motorcyclist reporting an ongoing robbery in the area, police operatives promptly responded and engaged the armed assailants in a gun duel,” Adeh stated.
Advertisement
She confirmed that three individuals sustained injuries during the exchange, with one person later confirmed dead at the hospital.
A vehicle belonging to one of the victims was also recovered from the scene.
Adeh further disclosed that a joint manhunt, involving police operatives and local vigilante groups, is ongoing to apprehend the fleeing suspects.
Addressing the viral video from the church service, the police spokesperson described the pastor’s remarks as “misleading” and based on unverified information.
“He claimed that one of his congregants had knowledge of the identities of the attackers, describing them as ‘herdsmen children,’ and further alleged that police operatives withdrew from the scene and failed to act.
“These claims are entirely false and grossly misleading,” Adeh said.
Advertisement
She stressed that such statements, when made from influential platforms, risk undermining public confidence in the police, spreading fear, and disrupting ongoing security operations.
Adeh noted that the Command had earlier released a detailed statement outlining verified facts of the incident and the prompt police response.
“We strongly urge religious and community leaders, as well as members of the public, to seek clarification and verify sensitive information through official channels before making public pronouncements,” she said.
The police also called on the church member mentioned in the video to present any relevant information to assist the ongoing investigation.
Reiterating the Command’s commitment to protecting lives and property, Adeh urged residents to remain calm, stay vigilant, and report suspicious activities to the nearest police station.
“For credible updates and information, residents are encouraged to rely solely on verified communications from the Police,” she added.